Hey,

attached is an example of a pipe heat exchanger which is one of the key units in energy and process engeering.

For the modulation mainly solids were used, to cut the bunch of pipes from the main frame. Check also the feature definitions, to see how to write objects in lists and create one solid from the every single object in that list.

If you have many solids like in this example and you want to do boolean actions, it is important seperate the different solids to avoid errors. Check therefore the small groups of solids.

regards

Carsten

post-85-0-35066600-1384182062_thumb.gif

post-85-0-67162800-1384182072_thumb.gif

heatexchanger_04.fdb

That's a nice example Carsten.  Quite different then many of our other examples.  Instead of varying the nuances of curved and free-formed surfaces, this example shows the change of important dimensions as well as a change in the number of parts (i.e. pipes, baffles)  with the corresponding topological changes. I bet the number and location of baffles has quite an influence on heat exchanger effectiveness.

Guest Mr. Harry Gatley__0002

Mr. Feutterer,

We are trying to design direct fired heaters and i particular a novel thermal cracker.  I am a novice and wondered how to model a helical coil.  Normally people build direct fired heaters with serpentine coils but they tend to cause coking.  At issue is the wall shear.  It must remain high, which is why we introduce steam into our heaters.  In the special case we are seeing supercritical conditions in the coil.  There is also the need for us to model the cracking reaction and I am thinking of using Cantera for the kinetic model.  The issue of course is the petroleum distillate database, which so far we are inputting as ASTM 86 distillation curves into HYSYS and into HTRI as pseudocomponents.  Do you have any suggestions as to best model the helix?  The number of coils and diameter is not important it's just how to get started in creating a helix. 

Many thanks

Harry Gatley