Mr. Chien Nguyen

Variable fillet at Propeller Root

Hello,

Is this possible to create variable fillet at propeller root? Normally, at the propeller root there are two fillet radius parameter (one at the pitch side and the other at the back side)

For the 1 radius fillet, I can do it well with brep edge fillet. I tried to create variable fillet with surface mapping but it does not work!

Thank you

Dear Chien,

yes, this is possible, although a bit tricky at times because you will need a very clean model to begin with...

The result would look something like this:

image.thumb.png.c5d974b833a4ff95a96c10a722baaa6f.png

The corresponding settings here where as follows:

image.thumb.png.cc660c57babf6d4e8be539018d296c79.png

Cheers,
Heinrich

Dear Heinrich

Thank you so much for your answer. But I tried with the sample propeller file in Caeses, I still did not succeed to create the fillet!

is this possible that you can upload for your file for my reference ?

Dear Heinrich and Paulo

Thanks so much for your answer, I upload my project here. if i just create 1 fillet radius (60) with fillet edge, it works very well. Now I would like to create one fillet radius 50 at Pitch side and 60 at Back side. I tried but it did not work

Beside, could you explain the meaning of position value, I understood that it should be from 0 to 1, but what is the position of 0 and 1

Thank you so much

propeller.cdbc

Dear Chien,

the position value is parametric. I modified the input surfaces for your blade such that now (0=start, 1=end and anything in between depends on the internal parametrization of your input surfaces, i.e. knot vector, control points, degree, etc...). Practically, in most cases you would need to know your leading edge position (now 0.5) and you can simply find out which side is suction and pressure by trial and error.

I recommend that you move the hub seam out of the way (by adding 180° to the start and end of the hub contour).

Also the trailing edge doesn't look ideal. 

image.thumb.png.b310e82a5d3861f02f19bfbe4202ef4d.png

I increased the tangent factors of the underlying fillet surface as a simple fix:

image.thumb.png.bf078b15d316873032c2d390e81b013a.png

Not sure if it makes a difference in this case, but please note, that I used the new 5.0.4 release.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the variable fillet to work right away, either. I will try to find some time to take a closer look.

Cheers,
Heinrich

propeller.cdbc

image.png

On 3/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mr. Heinrich von Zadow said:

Dear Chien,

the position value is parametric. I modified the input surfaces for your blade such that now (0=start, 1=end and anything in between depends on the internal parametrization of your input surfaces, i.e. knot vector, control points, degree, etc...). Practically, in most cases you would need to know your leading edge position (now 0.5) and you can simply find out which side is suction and pressure by trial and error.

I recommend that you move the hub seam out of the way (by adding 180° to the start and end of the hub contour).

Also the trailing edge doesn't look ideal. 

image.thumb.png.b310e82a5d3861f02f19bfbe4202ef4d.png

I increased the tangent factors of the underlying fillet surface as a simple fix:

image.thumb.png.bf078b15d316873032c2d390e81b013a.png

Not sure if it makes a difference in this case, but please note, that I used the new 5.0.4 release.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the variable fillet to work right away, either. I will try to find some time to take a closer look.

Cheers,
Heinrich

propeller.cdbc 1.17 MB · 0 downloads

image.png

Dear Heinrich

Thanks for your reply and your correction. I will try to play with it to get the variable fillet and let you know if it works