Gunnar K.

Panel Mesh from Brep

Hi,

I've a stl mesh of a hull. It took me 5 minutes to prep the geometry the way I wanted using Brep. Now I want to get a panel mesh on it for a NuShallo computation.

Now here is the question: Is there a method to get FSurfaces on my Brep to feed a MeshEngine, other than creating intersection curves and build up new Surfaces?

Best regards

Gunnar

test.fdbc

Hi Gunnar,

You imported an STL file. Try using s STEP or IGES if you can. (These are not discretized, but NURBS-based) If you can get your hands on such a format, you can technically get to the underlying surfaces. However, they might be untrimmed and hence, not work for generation of your panelmesh. To check, create a BRepPart and use right-click "extract surfaces". 

If STL is all you can get, you don't want to put that in a BRep, but rather use Trimeshes and Solids. For trimeshes (maybe you can get one with higher resolution) you could try the right-click "split by angle". This should make quick work of the reparametrization of the individual faces.

Best regards,
Heinrich

Fortunately I could go on with an IGES.  Eventually I produced a wave pattern, definitely unrealistic but at least the mesh seems to be readable for nuShallo.

Thanks for the response!

Best regards,

Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

I have the same problem to generate panel mesh from brep for seakeeping simulation.  Could you share your method?  Thanks. 

Hi there,

you might want to start by extracting the underlying surfaces of your BRep (create a BRepPart from it and then right-click > extract underlying surfaces) and take a look at them. If they are suitable (somewhat rectangular and nicely parameterized) you can get away with creating panel meshes from them directly. In my experience there will probably be at least a few regions which you have to re-model in order to get suitable patches for mesh generation.

Cheers,
Heinrich