Zhen Cheng

Is is possible to deform a trimesh by following the deformation of a Bspline?

Hi,

I am a beginner of CAESES, and I have a problem to design a FFD that can deform the geometry by following the deformation of a B-spline curve. The B-spline is basically the same shape as the curvy part of the geometry, we can deform the B-spline by shifting the control points of the B-spline, so it would be nice that the geometry can deform in the same way as the B-spline curve. I wonder how to make the geometry to follow the same deformation?

I have attached a figure with geometry and the B-spline before and after deformation,  an example of the fdb file would be highly appreciated, thanks for the help!

spline_and_geometry.png

Bspline-deformed.png

Hi Zhen,

in this case, I recommend using a simple delta shift. I renamed your curves: source (red), target(green) and calculated the y-offset between the two: "difference (black)".

image.png.8057db68a517525cee81721d33c39f98.png

Now you can set up a delta shift to transform your source based on difference --> this will make it match exactly with target. Voila.

image.png.cf8e86cd12b929e000043bdf5edcecf6.png

Best regards,

Heinrich

test_bspline_HvZ.fdb

Hi Heinrich,

I have a further question, is it possible to let the upper curve and lower curve deform differently? For example, let the upper curve deform with B-spline 1, and the lower curve deform with B-spline 2, where B-spline 1 and 2 are controlled by different design variables.

Best,

Zhen

Dear Zhen,

in principle, yes. You could set up a second delta shift perpendicular to the first one and combine the two in a delta product. It would be way easier if you could just set up a fully parametric model. Or is there a specific reason why you need to start from an existing/imported trimesh?

BR,
Heinrich