Rull

The optimization of hull towards reducing ship total resistance

I am newbie caeses software user. Please provide me some useful guidance for me. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Rull

Secondly, can you give some guidance or any sources the way to do optimization hull form of ship towards reducing ship resistance with geometry such as constant in displacement but the length is difference by using caeses software. Hope you can guide me. Thank you

Cheers,

Rull.

HI Rull,

First of all you need a software to calculate the resistance (or better the power that is needed to propel your vessel). That could be products by ANSYS, Star-ccm+, FINE/Marine, Shipflow or similar.

Then you have to set up a parametric model, or, alternatively import a geometry and apply parametric variations in CAESES. To keep the same displacement, you can either adjust the draught of the vessel to meet the displacement, or you can apply transformation to the vessel that will adjust the displacement at the desired draught in a nested way. 

Once you have defined the design variables that change the hull form, have connected to the CFD code of choice and calculate the performance, you can use those in a designEngine in CAESES to run automated optimization.

You will find some tutorials on each tasks mentioned in the tutorials shipped with CAESES, or in our YouTube channel.

Hope that helps to start with,

Claus

Hi Mr. Claus

If you don't  mind, can I ask you a question? For optimization of hull form, it is NSGA-II method suitable to use? Thank you Mr. Claus

Cheers,

Rull

On 6/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, Mr. Claus Abt said:

HI Rull,

First of all you need a software to calculate the resistance (or better the power that is needed to propel your vessel). That could be products by ANSYS, Star-ccm+, FINE/Marine, Shipflow or similar.

Then you have to set up a parametric model, or, alternatively import a geometry and apply parametric variations in CAESES. To keep the same displacement, you can either adjust the draught of the vessel to meet the displacement, or you can apply transformation to the vessel that will adjust the displacement at the desired draught in a nested way. 

Once you have defined the design variables that change the hull form, have connected to the CFD code of choice and calculate the performance, you can use those in a designEngine in CAESES to run automated optimization.

You will find some tutorials on each tasks mentioned in the tutorials shipped with CAESES, or in our YouTube channel.

Hope that helps to start with,

Claus

Hi Mr. Claus.

I am currently focusing on optimization of bulbous bow. But I have problems on transporting geomtry. May I know how to import geometry from CAESES to FINE/Marine?